Day-by Day: Directions & Photographs
When you return to Chicago—and you undoubtedly will return now that you have discovered how to navigate its many treasured venues–you might find it useful to see exactly which routes we followed on our numerous field trips. This will also serve as a sort of diary of our travels. Included are photographs from each of the listed days.
Thursday, May 17, 2012
Directions to hostel:
1. Depart Nashville on Southwest # 2572.
2. Arrive Midway Airport, Chicago.
3. Take Orange Line to Harold Washington Library Stop
4. Walk south on State Street one block.
5. Turn left at Congress Parkway.
6. Walk east toward Wabash. Hostelling International is at 24 East Congress Parkway.
Directions to Hemingway Archives at Oak Park (834 Lake St.) :
1. Take Orange Line to Clark & Lake.
2. Transfer to Green Line. Take Green Line toward Harlem.
3. Exit Oak Park.
4. As you leave the train station, turn right and walk up Oak Park Avenue until you come to Lake Street. Cross the street.
5. Walk up Lake Street until you come to 834, the Oak Park Public Library. The Hemingway Archives are on the third floor.
Prof. Crouther, Fiona, Sydney, Nicki , & Parker at Hemingway Archives
Directions to Hemingway Museum (200 N. Oak Park Ave.) :
1. From Oak Park Public Library, walk back down Lake Street to Oak Park Ave. Cross the street.
2. Turn left on Oak Park Ave.and walk until you come to 200.
Directions to Hemingway Birthplace House (339 N. Oak Park Ave.) :
1. From the Hemingway Museum, cross the street.
2. Turn right and walk up Oak Park Avenue until you come to 339 N. Oak Park Ave.
Class at Hemingway's Birthplace Home
Directions back to Chicago and The Grand Lux Café (600 N. Michigan Ave):
1. From Oak Park take the Green Line. There are two Green Lines—one toward Ashland/ 63rd and one toward Cottage Grove. Either one will work.
2. Exit at State & Lake.
3. Transfer to Red Line toward Howard.
4. Exit at Grand.
5. As you leave the station, turn right and walk to Michigan Ave., which is several blocks away. As you near Michigan, you will need to go inside a walkway and walk up some stairs, since Michigan is an elevated street.
6. Turn left on Michigan and walk to Ontario.
7. Turn left on Ontario and walk ½ block until you come to the entrance of The Grand Lux on your left. You enter the restaurant on Ontario, but it actually overlooks Michigan Ave. The address is 600 N. Michigan Ave.
Class at The Grand Lux
Directions from The Grand Lux back to the hostel:
1. As you leave the restaurant, turn right on Ontario and turn right again on Michigan Ave.
2. It’s pleasant in the evening to walk up Michigan Ave.and observe this vibrant city at night.
3. If you walk up as far as the Art Institute, you can then turn right on Adams and walk one block to the “L” station.
4. Take the Pink Line to the H.W. Library stop.
Friday, May 18, 2012
Directions to Frank Lloyd Wright’s Unity Temple (875 Lake St., Oak Park) :
1. Follow directions above for getting to Oak Park
2. As you exit the Oak Park train station, turn right and walk up Oak Park Ave.
3. At Lake St., turn left and walk to 875.
Prof. Crouther at Unity Temple
Directions to the First United Church (848 Lake St.)
1. This former Congregational Church that the Hemingway family attended is directly across the street from the UnityTemple
Directions for Frank Lloyd Wright Walking Tour
1. From The First United Church, facing Lake St., turn right and walk until you come to Forest Ave. Turn right.
2. Walk up Forest Ave. You will immediately identify the Wright-designed homes.
Directions to Frank Lloyd Wright Home & Studio (951 Chicago Ave.)
1. Continue walking up Forest Ave.until you come to Chicago Ave.The Wright home and studio are on your right—at the corner of Forest & Chicago Ave.
Directions to the Hemingway Boyhood Home (600 N. Kenilworth)
1. From the Wright home & studio, facing Chicago Ave., turn right and walk until you see an elementary school on the left.
2. Cross the street and walk through the schoolyard.
3. You are now on Kenilworth. The house is at the corner of Kenilworth & Iowa. Hemingway’s bedroom was the middle one at the top.
Directions back to Chicago:
1. From Hemingway’s boyhood home, turn right on Iowa.
2. Walk until you come to Oak Park Ave.
3. Turn right on Oak Park Ave.and walk until you come to the train station.
Saturday, May 19, 2012
Directions to Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House (5757 Woodlawn Ave):
1. On the train station side of State & Van Buren, take the # 6 Jackson Park Express Bus.
2. Exit at Stony Island Ave.& 57th St.
3. Walk six blocks west on 57thSt. to Woodlawn Ave.
4. Turn left on Woodlawn and walk to Robie House. It is on the corner of Woodlawn and 58th St.
Discovering that the Robie House was closed because of the NATO Summit, we went to the Oriental Institute Museum, part of the University of Chicago. We returned to the Robie House on Friday, May 25th .
Directions to Oriental Institute Museum (1155 E. 58th St.) :
1. From Robie House, walk diagonally across Woodlawn. Then walk up 58th street to 1155, on your left.
Class at Oriental Museum of University of Chicago
Directions to the University of Chicago’s Smart Museum:
1. Although we had no time to visit this museum, it is located at the corner of Ellis and 56th Street.
Directions from hostel to Navy Pier and Shoreline Cruise:
1. At the State & H.W. Library stop, take the # 29 bus to Navy Pier.
Chicago skyline from Lake Michigan
Sunday, May 20, 2012
Because the Art Institute was closed for the NATO Summit, we chose to go to the Museum of Science & Industry. We re-scheduled the Art Institute for Wednesday, May 23rd.
NATO protesters outside hostel
Directions to the Museum of Science & Industry (57 St. & Lake Shore Dr.):
1. Take the # 6 Jackson Park Express Bus at State & Van Buren.
2. Exit at 57th &Lake Shore Dr.
Police bicycle patrol outside hostel
Monday, May 21, 2012
Directions to Chicago Architecture Foundation (224 S. Michigan Ave.)
1. From hostel, walk east to Michigan Ave.
2. Turn left and walk to 224.
Directions to Architectural River Cruise (Navy Pier)
1. At the State & H.W. Library stop, take the # 29 bus to Navy Pier.
Nicki & Jonathan on architectural tour up Chicago River
Sydney, Nicki, Fiona, & Allison preparing supper at hostel
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Directions to Contemporary Art Museum (220 E. Chicago Ave.)
1. Take Red Line to Chicago stop.
2. Then take # 66 bus east to Museum. It is one block east ofMichigan Ave.
Class at the Contemporary Art Museum
Directions from Contemporary Art Museum to Navy Pier (sailing on the Windy–tall ship– & attending the Shakespeare Theatre) :
1. Continue to take # 66 bus.
Fiona hoisting the sail
Amy and her long-lost cousin (Kaitlen Osburn)
Directions from Navy Pier to hostel:
1. Take # 29 bus.
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Directions to The Art Institute (111 S. Michigan Ave at Adams St.)
1. Walk outside hostel. Turn left. Walk toMichigan Ave. Cross to other side.
2. Turn left. Walk until you come to the Art Institute
Chicago teachers on strike outside hostel
Directions from the hostel to the Second City Comedy Club (1616 N. Wells)
1. At H.W. Library, take Purple Line north toward Linden. 6 stops. (See note below)
2. Exit Sedgwick station.
3. Once outside, turn left and walk north on N. Sedgwick St.
4. Turn right on W. North Ave.
5. Walk several blocks down North Ave until you come to Wells St.
6. Turn left and cross North Ave. The club is on your left about halfway down the block at 1616 N. Wells.
Waiting for the train
Directions from Second City Comedy Club back to hostel:
1. The Purple Line is an express line for rush hours in the morning and evening. To return to hostel, take Brown Line.
Thursday, May 24, 2012
Directions to Jane Addams-Hull House (800 S. Halsted at the University of Illinois–Chicago):
1. From hostel facing Congress, turn left and walk to Michigan Ave. Cross street.
2. At Stop # 4725 on Congress, take # 7 bus toward Central .
3. Go eleven stops. At Harrison & Halsted (Stop # 206), exit and turn left.
4. Walk to 800 S. Halsted. Total = 22 minutes.
Class at Addams-Hull House
Directions from Jane Addams-Hull House to Student Center:
1. For lunch, go next door to the University of Illinois Chicago Student Center food court.
Directions to The Plant from Addams-Hull House:
1. At Halsted & Polk, Stop # 4639, which is right in front of the University of Illinois Chicago Student Center (next door to the Addams-Hull House), take the # 8 bus.
2. Go 14 stops. Exit at the Halsted Orange Line Station.
3. Take Orange Line toward Midway. Go one stop. Exit Ashland.
4. Take # 9 bus toward 95th St. It is in the second lane in front of the building, Stop # 14476.
5. Exit 46th Street & Ashland (Stop # 6079).
6. Cross street to left and walk several blocks to 1400 West 46th St. Look for a wind turbine. Total = 33 minutes.
Our guide Shelby on the rooftop garden of The Plant
Friday, May 25, 2012
Directions to Robie House (see May 19th)
The Robie House
Directions to Hutchinson Commons from Robie House:
1. From Robie House, cross Woodlawn and turn right.
2. At 57th Street, turn left and walk 1½ blocks to Hutchinson Commons of the University of Chicago. It is on your left.
3. The food court is inside. Walk up some short steps, make an immediate right toward the restroom signs, and look for the food court area on your left.
Dining at Hutchinson Commons, the University of Chicago
Directions from Hutchinson Commons to the DuSable Museum of African-American History (740 East 56th Place):
1. Go left on 57th Street. Walk for 15 minutes until you come to Cottage Grove. The DuSable Museum will be in front of you.
Directions from the DuSable Museum to the hostel:
1. Across 57th Street at Stop # 15164, take the # 4 bus back to Michigan & Congress. Then walk to the hostel.
Saturday, May 26, 2012
Directions to Notebaert Nature Museum (2430 N. Cannon Dr. in Lincoln Park):
1. At the H.W. Library Station, take the Brown Line toward Kimball.
2. Exit at Diversey.
3. At Stop # 11028, take the # 76 bus east to the Nature Museum.
Class outside Nature Museum
Directions from Notebaert Nature Museum to Lincoln Park Zoo:
1. As you leave the Nature Museum, turn right and walk down Cannon St.to the zoo.
Directions from the Lincoln Park Zoo to North Ave. Beach:
1. You can depart from the zoo’s main entrance, turn right, and walk about a mile to reach North Beach.
Parker, Jonathan, Fiona, Nicki, & Amy at North Ave Beach
Directions from North Ave. Beach to hostel:
1. During summertime, you can take the # 72 bus from the beach to the Sedgwick Station, then take the Brown Line back to the hostel.
1. A more secluded beach is the Hollywood Beach, which is north of the North Ave. Beach. Take the Red Line to Bryn Mawr Station. Then walk down Bryn Mawr St.to the beach.
Sunday, May 27, 2012
Directions to Willis Tower (Sears Tower—233 S. Wacker Dr.):
1. Take the Orange Line toward Midway.
2. Exit Quincy.
3. Walk down Quincy St.to WillisTower.
Amy & Allison waiting for train
View from Willis Tower
Lunch at Panera's
Directions to Greenhouse Theatre (2257 N. Lincoln Ave.):
1. Take Brown Line toward Kimball .
2. Go 10 stops. Exit Fullerton.
3. Once outside, turn left and walk east on Fullerton until you reach Lincoln, which runs at a diagonal.
4. Turn right onto Lincoln and walk to 2257. Total walk = 10 minutes.
Directions to John Hancock Building (875 N. Michigan Ave.):
1. Walk to Congress & Wabash. Cross street. On Congress side at Stop # 17255, take # 147 bus toward Howard Station.
2. Exit Michigan & Delaware. Walk to 875.
Monday, May 28, 2012
Directions to Shedd Aquarium (1200 S. Lake Shore Dr.):
1. Option # 1—Take Orange Line toward Midway.
2. Exit at Roosevelt.
3. Then cross street and take # 146 bus east to aquarium.
1. Option # 2—At State & Van Buren take # 146 bus
Class at Shedd Aquarium
Directions to Field Museum (1400 S. Lake Shore Dr.):
1. It is next door to the Shedd Aquarium.
Directions from Museum Campus to hostel:
1. Take # 146 bus.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Directions from hostel to Midway:
1. At H.W. Library, take Orange Line to Midway.